TV Apps

Billy Croan Billy at croan.org
Mon Feb 5 12:45:05 CST 2024

huh.  So you're looking for a *Roku App* it sounds more like.

The Roku built in/stock media player app can read upnp servers.  I have
used that functionality briefly and it did work, even over a vpn to
datacenter.  It's the same app that would play an mp4 file from a usb stick
plugged into the roku.

You could combine that with yt-dlp to download your favorite channels to a
fileserver (without ads) and watch them on your Roku via the media player
app.  it can sort by time so you see most recent first, but you will
admittedly need a lot of storage.

It would surprise me not, if the various MythTV, Sage, Boxee, include a
ytdlp component or plugin.

I also wrote a Roku Command script that takes place of the remote, and
another that plays on Roku whatever url you provide assuming its one of the
limited compatible formats.  I believe you can even send it urls to
google's youtube cdn objects, and stream the mp4's directly into your roku
without ads.

sorry my scripts are a bit crusty.  and note, that you must call the roku
by IP, not dns name, in the event you have proper DNS at home.  an http
hostname squirrels it up.  with my commands you can turn the tv on from
standby (off-looking) state, and start any app on it.  The api it uses can
also give you status info of the roku.

I've never used YoutubeTV I don't think.  I thought it was a paid service
like YoutubeRed or Youtube Plus or something.